Let’s be honest. Sunday morning is impossible without volunteers. None of us have the budget to hire staff positions for everything. And if we did, we would still want people to experience the joy of serving.
It’s difficult, however, to find great servant leaders. Most of the time we’re not even sure where to start.
These 10 questions will help you gain clarity on some things you need to do (or do more often) in order to find more awesome volunteers!
HAVE YOU REFINED YOUR ENVIRONMENT?
- Is your environment clean and organized?
- Are your communication pieces spelled correctly?
ARE YOU CLEAR ON EXACTLY HOW MANY VOLUNTEERS YOU NEED?
- Have you identified the missing positions in each ministry area?
- Does your team know the exact number of volunteers you need?
DO YOU HAVE A VISUAL VOLUNTEER RECRUITMENT BOARD?
- Does the board display the specific roles you need to fill?
- Is the board in a place where you and your team can see it regularly?
DO PEOPLE IN YOUR CHURCH KNOW THAT YOU NEED VOLUNTEERS?
- Does your church staff (outside of your ministry area) know what type of volunteers you’re looking for?
- Are your volunteer needs being clearly communicated in some way to the congregation (bulletins, emails, stage announcements, etc.)?
IS THERE A CLEAR, SIMPLE PROCESS FOR PEOPLE TO EXPRESS INTEREST IN SERVING?
- Are there sign up cards or forms in a highly visible location of your church?
- Is there a place where people can talk to a member of your team and ask questions about what it means to serve in your environment?
HAVE YOU ASKED YOUR KEY VOLUNTEERS TO HELP YOU RECRUIT?
- Have you asked your key volunteers to give you the names of at least two people who are awesome like they are?
- Have you asked your key volunteers to let their friends know that you will be contacting them?
DO YOU HAVE A LIST OF POTENTIAL VOLUNTEERS YOU WANT TO RECRUIT THROUGH ONE-ON-ONE, FACE-TO-FACE CONVERSATIONS?
- Have you written down their names and posted them in a place where you can see them regularly?
- Have you established the deadline by which you want to have these conversations?
DO YOU HAVE A CLEAR PLAN ON HOW TO RECRUIT THROUGH YOUR WORSHIP SERVICE?
- Do you have one or two worship services each year that are dedicated to encouraging people to get involved and serve?
- Have you made sure that the invitation to serve is based on vision and stories of life change?
HAVE YOU CONNECTED YOUR RECRUITMENT TO VISION AND STORIES INSTEAD OF DRY INFORMATION?
- Do you have one or two great stories of life change through your ministry environment?
- Do you know how to clearly the communicate the WHY of serving in your ministry area as opposed to just the WHAT?
ARE YOU LAVISHLY APPRECIATING YOUR CURRENT VOLUNTEERS?
- Are you worried that you’re saying thank you too much?
- Are you treating your current volunteers in a way that could potentially make people who aren’t serving jealous?
Want to empower healthy volunteerism
in your church?
We’re inviting you to check out Volunteer Rocket, a resource that can revolutionize the landscape of your leadership ministry.