Are you frustrated more people don’t participate in the offering at your church? Do you hope and pray for more people to get involved in generosity? Are you teaching them what the Bible says about stewardship only to be disappointed that more people don’t follow through?
Most churches know the offering is important…it’s the moment that funds most of the other moments in ministry. It’s time to understand the reasons why so many people sit on the sidelines. Here are five reasons aren’t giving to your church.
- They don’t see the need. I know you’ve heard that people don’t give to need, but it’s just not true. Every time there is a natural disaster, people respond to need. We’ll show you a healthy way to talk about needs in your church.
- They don’t understand the vision. People need to know how their donations are being used to fulfill the mission of the church. Most people don’t care about meeting the budget or paying the mortgage. That’s why you should take a couple of minutes just before the offering in EVERY church service to connect the dots.
- They don’t know anyone. When people are relationally connected, they are more likely to financially contribute. Do the hard work of connecting people to the church and to each other.
- They don’t know how. Don’t assume that everyone knows HOW to give to your church. Show people how online giving works, teach them how to use offering envelopes, and give super clear directions every time you pass the plate.
- They don’t understand or believe the Bible. Some people don’t give because they honestly don’t know what the Bible teaches about stewardship and generosity. Others know it, but they don’t believe it. As a leader, you’ve got to shepherd people with God’s Word, teaching them how to follow God in all areas of their lives.