We started Giving Rocket in 2011 because we wanted to help churches have more money for ministry. We believe the church should be the most well-funded organization on earth.
We are always on the lookout for helpful information to help you increase giving. John Haydon gives Seven Ways to Increase Your Nonprofit’s Donations in 2013. Here is his list, along with some comments.
- Say Thanks. This is one of the simplest, and most effective things you can do when it comes to giving in the church. Just thank people when they give! That’s why we created this little tool – it’s a blank note card and a short booklet to help donors understand how God views their donation.
- Give Your Supporters Better Tools. If you make it easier for people to give, more people will give. There is an entire coaching module on this very topic in our core coaching program.
- Plug up the Holes in Your Website. We made 100 donations to 100 different churches via their websites and gathered found it takes nearly five minutes to make a donation. If you want to give to a politician, it takes half that amount of time. Speed up the process and more people will give online.
- Make Your Supporters’ Agendas Your Agenda. Zig Ziglar said, “if you help people get what they want, they will help you get what you want.” It’s time the church started helping people with the 90%, not just ask for the 10%.
- Constantly Report Outcomes. As much time as we communicate on the front end, we need to appreciate and update on the back end. If you raise money for a project, make sure to give project updates so people can see the effect of their donation.
- Develop One Cause Marketing Partnership. Too many special offerings defeat the purpose. Focus on fully funding the vision of your church. Everyday is more important than the big day.
- Don’t Shoot for Perfect. You’ll get better and better at this. Try the coaching program and get intentional about increasing giving in your church. It’s not just a way to have more money…it’s a way to help people follow Jesus.